I published the Grated Carrot, Apple, and Raisin Salad Recipe in the previous post, to continue with the series of Australian Foods articles, today I’m posting about one of the best Australian recipe: Meat Pie
A typical breakfast may consist of fruit, toast with Vegemite (a salty yeast spread), fried eggs and bacon, and juice. Lunch may be an apple or a salad (such as Grated Carrot, Apple, and Raisin salad), a sandwich filled with tuna or deli meats, and an ANZAC biscuit for a treat. (ANZAC is the acronym for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. No one knows for sure, but many people think these biscuits were first prepared for troops—and for Australian and New Zealand families—around 1915 during
World War I.) Dinnertime often brings leg of lamb or barbecued prawns (shrimp), roasted vegetables, a salad, and a custard or tart for dessert. Damper, a simple homemade bread, and billy tea, named for the pot it is heated in, both remain a staple for any meal.
Meat pie is considered the Australian national dish. One newspaper, the Sydney Morning Herald, reported some statistics about meat pie consumption in the country:
- Almost 260 million pies are consumed every year, or almost 15 per person
- Men eat meat pies almost twice as often as women
- 62 percent of meat pies are filled with chopped steak (ground beef)
- 36 percent are filled with steak and onion, steak and kidney, steak and potato, or steak and mushroom
- Just 2 percent are filled with chicken
Australian Meat Pie
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup ketchup
1 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 prepared pie shells, 8-inch
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine ground beef, ketchup, onion, salt, milk, breadcrumbs, oregano, and pepper in a bowl.
3. Mix well.
4. Divide mixture into 2 pie shells and bake for about 45 minutes.
5. While the pies are baking, mix together Worcestershire sauce and cheese in another bowl.
6. After about 45 minutes, remove pies from oven.
7. Spread Worcestershire sauce and cheese mixture on top of pie shells.
8. Bake for about 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Within the next post, I’ll share more two Australian Foods: Black Australian Coffee and ANZAC Biscuits
- australian pie
- meat pie
- australian meat pie
- meat pie recipe
- meat pies
- Australia National Dish
Categories: Recipes Tags: a pie with sauce on it, australia food meat pies, australia grated carrot apple and raisin salad, Australia meat pie, Australia pie, australian Australian Meat Pie, Australian Foods, australian meat pie, australian meat pie recipe, australian pie, australian pie picture, australian pies, Australian recipes, australische pies, Bought Meat Pie, images of meat pies, meat pie, meat pie and salad good for you, meat pie australien, meat pie pictures, meat pie recipe, meat pie recipes, meat pie sydney, meat pies, meat pies australia, meat pies australian, meat pies recipes australia, meat pie 画像, meatpies, new zeland meat pie, pics of meat pie, pics of meat pies, picture of meat pie, pictures of meat pie, pictures of meat pies, pie and sauce, pie from australia, pie with sauce, pies, pies australia, The australian meat pie, traditional australian foods, мясной пирог, فطيرة اللحم
The end of World War II brought about significant change in Australian cuisine. People from the Europe and Asia brought new crops, seasonings, and cooking methods with them.
Wheat, rice, oranges, bananas, and grapes are just a few of the crops that grow in abundance throughout the country. Meat has always been a large part of the Australian diet, although Australians (like others around the world) began to be concerned about controlling cholesterol and fat in their diet, and decrease their consumption of meat slightly toward the end of the twentieth century. Kangaroo, though once a popular meat in Australia’s early history, is no longer widely consumed; beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and seafood are more common in twenty-first century Australia.
We will publish a series of posts about Australian foods and most of the countries around the world include recipes. Please submit to our RSS Feed to keep updated.
Grated Carrot, Apple, and Raisin Salad
1 head of lettuce
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium red apple, chopped fine
¼ cup raisins
1 Tablespoon coconut, flaked
Juice of lemon
1. Carefully remove several firm leaves from the head of lettuce, and arrange in a bowl.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
3. Mound mixture in the lettuce “cup.”
4. Serve with cottage cheese, chicken, or lean cold meat.
Within the series of Australian food articles, you will learn about Meat Pie recipe
- Grated Carrot Apple and Raisin Salad
- carrot apple raisin salad recipe
- australian grated carrot apple and raisin salad
- Grated apple carrot and raisin salad
- grated carrot apple and rasin
- grated carrot apple and raisin
- country of origin lettuce and carrot
- carrot raisin salad australiua
- carrot apple salad recipe pictures
- carrot apple raisin salad
Categories: Recipes Tags: apple, Aussie salad recipe, australia grated carrot apple and raisin salad, Australian Foods, Australian recipes, australiyan food pictures of grated carrot apple and raisin salad, grated carrot, Grated Carrot Apple and Raisin Salad, history of • grated apple carrot and raisin salad australia, Raisin salad